Our store is undergoing extensive maintenance. If you have trouble placing an order, please Email Us, Text, or Call 405-881-5028 for help. Firelight Heritage Farm is based in the United States.
Shipping INSIDE the United States is a flat $8 per order.
Great for meatless dishes, with a texture like chicken – reconstitute dried Chicken of the Woods in chicken or pork boullion for a meat substitute. Can also be sliced thin and fried in butter with a little smoke flavoring for meatless bacon.
We work with three varieties of this mushroom, and they are similar, but different in distinctive ways.
- Sulphureus – The more common darker orange variety which grows on vertical trees. This variety can cause reactions in some people, and it toughens with age, so only the outside edges are usually palatable.
- Cincinnatus – Less common, grows on rotting wood that is buried in the ground. We looked long and hard for this variety, specifically because it is more tender and easier to use than the other varieties. It is also less likely to cause a reaction than the darker varieties.
- Conifericola - Grows on conifers, but is the most likely of the three to cause reactions in people who are sensitive. It is also the least flavorful of the three strains.
Pick when immature, or trim off outer edges, and use the tender parts only. Dried Chicken of the Woods may be reconstituted and used in soups, or fried.
Can be used for vegetarian chicken and bacon dishes. Some varieties have a meaty flavor, and are a good meat substitute for vegan dishes.
They also may have some unique health benefits:
- Laetiporus cincinnatus – May help reduce absorption of nutrients by cancer cells.
- Laetiporus conifericola - May help rejuvenate gray hair folicles.
- Laetiporus sulphureus – May help reduce sceborrhetic keratoses.
Need Some Help?
Our cart is not currently set up to calculate international shipping. For international orders, please email us with a list of items you wish to order, and the country you need them shipped to. We will return a shipping quote, and send you a PayPal invoice to complete the order process. Not all items are available for international shipping (heavy items are too costly). We currently ship ONLY dried mushroom spawn and spore prints internationally.
NOTE: INTERNATIONALLY SHIPPED DRIED MUSHROOM SPAWN IS SHIPPED IN PLASTIC BAGS, AND NOT IN METAL TINS, TO ENSURE FEWER PROBLEMS IN CLEARING THROUGH CUSTOMS.
In the Kitchen
Mushrooms may cause allergic reactions in sensitive people. Some mushrooms are more likely to do this than others. Please research possible reactions prior to purchase. We are not responsible for how you choose to use our products, and do not claim that mushrooms are completely safe to consume. We merely assure that they are as represented on our website.
We do not make any claims as to the efficacy of any mushroom product to treat or prevent any disease or condition. We are not medical professionals and will not provide advice on alternative medicine use for any product that we sell. Please consult a doctor or alternative practitioner prior to using any mushroom product for treatment of any disease or illness.
We cannot guarantee that any spawn, spore, or kit product will grow or produce mushrooms. We do guarantee that our products are as described, and that the methods in our instructions do produce good results, but once our products leave our facility, we can no longer control the factors which are responsible for success. Gardening of any kind is a chancy business, and success depends upon adherence to instructions, and may be influenced by weather, environmental factors, and other controllable and non-controllable factors. As such, we cannot guarantee your success, and advise that if you are uncomfortable with purchasing under these terms, that you refrain from purchase.
We do promise to answer your questions, and offer reasonable assistance if needed, and to correct any errors if a mistake is made on our part.